Monday, January 5, 2009

Home at Last

Well, we're back home from our 7 week road trip. It was great seeing family and friends, and now I am looking forward to settling down in North Carolina. I have a huge list of things to do, boring things, like finding a pediatrician, signing Mac up for daycare, scheduling the move. Blah, blah, blah, the list goes on and on.

Something happened tonight that really pulled at my heart. Mackenzie and I were taking the dog out when our neighbor was getting home from work. I didn't pay much attention to him since I was juggling the dog and Mac. As he walked up the drive way, Mackenzie about jumped out of my arms. She started yelling, "Daddy! Daddy!" When I set her down she marched right across our yard and into their driveway, the neighbor was already inside, thank goodness. As I took her hand and walked her back to our house she started crying; she thought I was keeping her from seeing her Daddy! My heart ached and still does. How do I explain to a 16 month-old that her Dad is in Florida and we'll see him next month? I wanted to cry with her, tell her I understand how she feels and that it's okay to miss him. But since she has no concept of time or place, we did the next best thing-went inside and built a tower out of blocks.

Onto some Mackenzie happenings, a much more uplifting topic. Her new behaviors include...

1) Shaking her finger at mom, dad, or anyone when they do something she doesn't like. It started with her doing it to the dog and has now transferred over to us. The little girl next door got real close to Mac today and she started waving that finger around.

2) Anytime we are somewhere that she doesn't want to be, she starts saying "bye-bye" and heads for the door. She did this twice today, once at the housing office and again when we walked through the new house.

3) She literally asks for a cookie or "doodie" 25 times a day.

4) For some reason the rooster on the toy barn (not to be confused with our real barn) really irritates her.

5) Mackenzie will always yell "MA" when she is climbing on something. I don't know if she is proud or just wants to see my reaction.






2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

WOW! 7 weeks! you are amazing! I couldnt do it! I am glad you are home, safe and sound. Your story about daddy tugged at my heart too... It is difficult, because how can she comprehend time at that age. But building blocks rule, so nice distraction. And if i knew somone might give me them I would shout out "cookies" 25 times a day to! Miss you! Cant wait to see pics of the new digs!

RangersGirl said...

How is the new house? Gosh, I would have burst out crying had I been in your shoes too. I'm sure that happens, I've read of it happening when kids see men in uniform, they think its their dad. One of my friend's son started to cry when she dropped her husband off for weekend duty officer stuff - - at the building they dropped him off when he was deployed. Her son thought daddy wasn't going to come home for a long time.

I love the "bye-bye" thing. Wish I could do that at work and get away with it.

Have fun exploring New Bern and Cherry Point - - I really liked the area down there.