Tuesday, January 27, 2009

This and That

It feels like so much has been going on, but when I sit down to write about it, I can't seem to think of anything important. Mackenzie and I are currently in Florida visiting Nathan. We made it a whole three weeks at Cherry Point before deciding to leave. I know some people would just tough it out, but I realized that if we have the opportunity to be together as a family, we need to take it. Next time we are apart will probably be for a deployment and getting the fam together then won't really be an option. Military families spend so much time apart and I'm learning just how stressful it can be.

When Mackenzie saw Nathan she didn't really want anything to do with him. It made us both a little sad. She was very clingy and acted annoyed when Nathan and I were sitting next to each other. Mac would position herself in between us or on top of my lap. Their relationship is so important to me and I want to do everything I can to help foster it, but she's still too young to discuss Daddy. What to do, what to do.
Nathan, Mackenzie and I went to the beach this afternoon. I watched as father and daughter ran around in the sand and everything felt right. I love the beach, it's the one place I can go and forget about every worry. I probably had a smile on my face the entire time. I hope I never forget this afternoon.
See those animals Mac has in her hands? She is OBSESSED with these things. We have found ourselves strategizing on how to get them away from her without a full blown tantrum. Distraction is usually the best route. Sometimes I'll find her playing with them and they will be kissing or she will kiss them, or they will kiss one of her other barn yard animals. Kissing is big right now, I also saw her trying to make the crayons kiss.

4 comments:

Jillian said...

so cute! I love her faces and you always seem to capture them so well. Glad you were able to visit Nathan, makes sense to me to take advantage of every opportunity you have. Like you said, there will be times when he is not so close, you are working, Mackenzie is in school, etc. when it won't be this easy, so make every second count and you'll have these memories forever!

By the way, I went back and watched the sand video again, it is so cute. Will you please upload it to AFV? I swear it will make it on! Here is the link: http://abc.go.com/primetime/afv :)

Jacquelyn said...

i teared up reading your post. you are such a good mom and hopefully it will be a smidge easier to talk about daddy in another year. I am glad you find calmness in your hectic life at the beach! Miss you!
Oh, we went ring shopping:)

Kelly said...

Jac,
You went ring shopping?? Would love to hear more about that. Miss you!

Laura said...

Hey you two, just wanted to let you know that my dad was in Korea while I was a toddler. He came back for the holidays one time and as he left to go to the bathroom during dinner, I turned to my mom and said, "Is he going to leave sometime?"

And I acted a lot like Mac. But, my dad is my best friend now and I miss him like crazy all the time. Just know that those times too will pass. All the best!!