Tuesday, April 8, 2008

It's Finally Over....For Now Anyway

I find myself starting this post over and over again, I am struggling with what I really want to say. I want to share all of the details of the past week, but there are so many memorable moments, emotions, ups and downs that I don't know where to start. I am actually feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Nathan is now a Marine Officer, he is truly in his element. The commissioning ceremony was surprisingly emotional, almost bittersweet. I felt so proud of my husband and everything he had accomplished, but I could not deny what this moment meant for us down the road. I tried my best to stay present, however, as I stood there holding MC my mind was flooded with thoughts of separation, deployments, single parenthood and of course the safety of my man. When I saw Nathan after the ceremony I could tell he was also feeling a variety of emotions, we probably weren't thinking about the same things though. Nathan reminded me later that we aren't "normal" I think he was trying to make me feel better.


Nathan and Mackenzie together for the first time in 10 weeks.

She didn't cry and I think that is a smile.

Our little family.

The commissioning ceremony.

Pinning on his bars.

Nathan and Mac


9 comments:

Melissa Jo said...

how exciting and bitter sweet for the fam! those pics are wonderful! i loved them very much! i miss you guys! i will be visiting often as you are always welcome to visit us too! especially in the fall when i'll be working less!

Jacquelyn said...

It is such a blessing to see you guys grow as a family and I love that you have this blog to share it with us.

What is next? Or when will you know?

Anonymous said...

These pictures are fantastic. So touching. It seems like just yesterday I was babysitting you and Melissa and now look at you and your family! Wonderful!

Kelly said...

Where do we go from here? That is a good question; while we were in Virginia Nathan moved into our apartment and will be living it up bachelor style until we move out at the beginning of June. He started TBS (The Basic School), which is about 6 months long. After that.....who knows? We'll move again, probably North Carolina or California.

Jacquelyn said...

Well, i have to say that those two locations sound nice. I mean either of those places are beautiful. I am sure it eases your mind now that he is settled in a bit and you actually get to talk to him more. Or at least I am assuming that. I vote California! With Jenny and Matty near by I think it would comforting!! Thinking of you guys!

The Mrs. said...

Congratulations... to all of you! Here's hoping that the road ahead isnt too bumpy, of course, you and I know that in Marine Corps life, bumps sometimes come more then the one would like. good luck on yalls next step!

Jillian said...

Thanks for sharing and for all of the updated pictures, they are adorable and I cried when I saw the pictures of them together again for the first time! I can't even imagine how that felt, and how this whole new next step feels, bittersweet is definitely a good descriptor.

So you will be in Virginia in June and then just until he is done with the 6 months school, so really through September? You will be really close to Ratty when you are out there! And I go to Richmond at least once every few months for work, so I should definitely be able to swing through for a weekend! Let us know when you are leaving the Fort and we will try to make it home before then. Love you guys!

RangersGirl said...

Great photos in the museum and story from both points of view, yours and your husbands.

I'm a volunteer tour guide at the museum, haven't been there for any of the commissionings yet as I have a real day job to pay the bills. I heard the retired Marines that were there that day talk about all the different places people chose to have their pinning. Just curious, why did your husband select that spot in the GWOT gallery?

Many blessings to you and your family as you embark on this new journey. The Marine wives I know are cream of the crop!

Kelly said...

Rangersgirl-Thanks for commenting! My hubby was deployed to Iraq in 2003 when he was in the Marines the first time around (reserves) and thought the GWOT would be a fitting room for the pinning.