Sunday, April 6, 2008

OCS is "Done Sir Done!"

I would like to thank everyone who supported myself and my family through this last chapter of our life, whether you sent letters, commented on the blog, or made a phone call...please know that we appreciate your support more than we can exclaim.

Seeing Kelly and MC for the first time put butterflies in my stomach. Ten weeks away from a baby provides so many changes, and I will admit, at times it was hard to believe that MC was my daughter because of how much she had changed...but, as soon as I saw the hairline I knew it was true. My biggest fear was, and continues to be, that my daughter will not know her father. What a humbling experience to see that the world does not stop for you but continues to go on without your input or protest.

I would like to publicly thank my wife for holding down the fort while I went off to fulfill my duties, I truly believe that I could not have accomplished these goals without her. They say, "Behind every great man is a great woman", while I don't consider myself a great man I do know that I have a great woman behind me proving the saying holds a true meaning behind the context. One of the greatest honors I have experienced was having my wife pin my Lt. bars on my uniform, I couldn't have imagined a more fitting end to the struggle we have faced. Thank you Kelly, I would not have been able to do this without you.

As we move to the next phase, please continue to keep us in your prayers...I would like to close with the toast to the flag. For you wives and girlfriends, read the words and pay attention to the the stanza, "Womanhoods care for it, Made manhood dare for it" because you are who we fight for making this the most meaningful line contained in the toast. I will take the liberty for the men in your life and thank you for being our rock. Continue to look out for us...no matter how strong we are or pretend to be we still need you...

Here's to the red of it
There's not a thread of it
No, not a shred of it
In all of the spread of it
From foot to head
But heroes bled for it
Faced steel and lead for it
Precious blood shed for it
Bathing it red

Here's to the white of it
Thrilled by the sight of it
Who knows the right of it
But feels the might of it
Through day and night
Womanhood's care for it
Make manhood dare for it
Purity's prayer for it
Keeps it so white

Here's to the blue of it
Beauteous view of it
Heavenly hue of it
Star spangled dew of it
Constant and true
Diadems gleam for it
States stand supreme for it
Liberties beam for it
Brightens the blue

Here's to the whole of it
Stars, stripes, and pole of it
Body and sole of it
O, and the roll of it
Sun shining through
Hearts in accord for it
Swear by the sword of it
Thanking the Lord for it
Red, White, and Blue

Thanks again, there is no better friend, no worst enemy...Semper Fidelis

Very Respectfully,

Nathan

5 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

Very nicely written and very nicely put, Nathan. You and Kelly's relationshop is such a great example of love and support to all of us. Isn't it ironic that you sit there and write to thank us for being so supportive and a good friend.... when its us who should be thanking you for your endless courage and dedication to our country. Thank you.
Love jac

Jillian said...

Congratulations!! Teague and I are so proud of you both and what you have gone through over the past few months. You are examples to all of us and we are grateful that there are people like you out there that can make the choices you have and dedicate your lives to our country and our freedom because it is definitely not a journey that many can take. We are all meant to do something spectacular with our lives, something different, and I'm glad you know what that is for you.

So, what's next???

Love you all!

Melissa Jo said...

Officer Miller:
ditto to what jac and jilly said! well stated, nathan! and i agree with jac and jill, a thank YOU is really what we should be saying. supporting you and your fam is just what friends do :) it's never a task but an honor, more than that--a blessing.
[and i still have those moments of disbelief that i have a daughter! in a good way, a grateful way, of course :)]

Salute!

Marla said...

Wonderful! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Your family rocks!