Saturday, April 4, 2009

Bad Blogger

I've been such a bad blogger lately. Sorry and it's probably going to happen again....just being honest. Going back to work has been a huge adjustment for everyone. Mackenzie had a difficult time going into daycare and is still insisting on carrying around her damn blanket all day. I might let it go until this summer and work on that for next year. We told the daycare that we were thinking about not letting her bring it and they looked at us with fear in their eye.
Mackenzie and Grandma LaVine back in March

So cute, so stubborn.

We seem to have entered into a phase I like to call "toddler hell" and let's just say it isn't pretty. Sometimes we get this.....
....other times we get this....
...and every now and then this.

How long does this phase last? Can someone please tell me? Did I mention that she has also starting waking up throughout the night? This morning I walked into the kitchen to find her dumping the dog's water and food bowl onto the floor. She looked at me and said, "Uh-oh!" Last time I checked, uh-oh doesn't apply when you do something on purpose. I will admit that she quickly ran to the nearest laundry basket, found a towel and began to clean up the mess.

Work has been.....um, interesting?!? Some days are great, other days are like a never ending nightmare. I know that sounds a bit dramatic, but the school systems down here are about 10 years behind where I came from. Oh, and I was hit in the face this week. My jaw is still recovering and there was no bruising, so that's a good thing. Here are a few of my favorite quotes that I've heard since starting.....

"Mrs. Miller, I have sand in my butt."

"It's okay for boys to play with girl toys if it's just for a little bit. Like sometimes I wear girl dresses.....but just for a little bit." (Said to me by a 6 year old boy)

"Hey sweetie!"

"I WANT CHICKEN, FRIED!" (Said to the cafeteria worker by a 5 year old girl)

4 comments:

Sara said...

The boy sounds a little like a boy who got "lipstick" for Christmas last year. As for the waking up, Ayden is still doing that some nights. We put a gate up in the hallway so he couldn't enter the kitchen. Amy had a gate in front of Katy's bedroom door. So, I want to know more about the hit in the jaw. We don't have consequences at our school for that, do you:)

Jacquelyn said...

YEa! An update. Le says Lorenn wakes more often in the night. For awhile it was because she had ear infections, but now its just at random. Last week she woke up screaming about Grilled Cheese. Yes, my niece was having a nightmare about grilled cheese and was so upset and into it that leann couldnt get her to wake up for awhile! That is crazy how far behind things seem there. I would like to hear more about the jaw incident too, but glad to hear there is no bruising. And is Nathan there now? I bet as Mac gets more familiar with the staff and kids her blanket will be less of need.
Glad to hear you are balancing all of the changes. I miss you guys! Emailed with Julia and she said she talked to you and it was really helpful.

RangersGirl said...

Whew! Sounds like you have your hands full! Sorry to hear you got hit by a student. I'd hide nail polish and scissors - - my friend had her 4 year old daughter cut her own hair two weeks before she was a flower girl in a wedding. Yep, self inflicted mullet. Recently, her son decided that he wanted to paint his finger and toe nails - - and the carpet - - with red nail polish.

I may be a horrible mom, if I ever am one, because I'll probably laugh hysterical at my kids doing this stuff. Well, the carpet I'd be upset about - - but would still laugh.

The baby gate infront of the bedroom door sounds like a good idea -- hope Mac isn't a climber. I think she may out grow the blanket. My nephew carried his with him all through nursery school and he's a pretty well adjusted 7 year-old now.

Jillian said...

I have heard the same thing about my nieces and nephews and co-workers kids. Some have had to put those net things over the crib to keep them in. Once they're in a real bed, they've had to turn the door knobs around on their bedroom door and basically lock them in their room at night to keep them from getting out and hurting themselves. Their pediatrician actually recommended it for 3 nights and after that, they won't get up any more. Sounds cruel, but I guess it works wonders.

Hang in there, I can't even imagine how your life must go from comical, to frustrating, to angry, to joyful in a matter of minutes! She'll definitely outgrow it soon enough. As for the blanket, save that battle for another day I say, you both deserve the break.

I can't believe you got punched in the jaw, I would also like more information on that one. Hope it starts leveling out at work a bit soon.

So glad to see you back and blogging! We understand how busy you are so no apologies needed.