Thursday, June 26, 2008

Updates and an Unexpected Evening

Update #1- I can cook! Who knew? Certainly not me or my husband.

Update #2- Being a stay-at-home mom (SAHM) is WAY harder than I expected, it is also a little bit lonely. I look forward to going to Target or the grocery store to have a little adult interaction. I'm still trying to decide if I will apply for a job.

Update #3- Making friends has been challenging. I have discovered this whole new world of pool moms. We have a pool at the apartment and it gives us something free to do during the day. Mackenzie is still pretty young and needs constant supervision (pool or no pool), so my interactions are somewhat limited with the other women. Maybe if I read this book I will have some luck.

Update #4- Nathan was in charge of picking out the apartment since I was 600 miles away and the only thing I asked for was that it be on the ground level. I did not want to be carrying the baby and all her crap up and down stairs. Well, we are on the ground floor......the floor you have to walk down stairs to get to. Hello? If you have to walk down, you're going to have to walk up! Oh well, we all learned a valuable lesson.


Update #5- Overall, the move went pretty well. On the first packing/moving day in Fort Wayne, I was greeted at the storage unit by three, large, tattoo covered gentlemen that I spent the next 7 hours with. One of them was on house arrest, I noticed his ankle bracelet. The next day seemed to go even slower, they had to inventory and put stickers on EVERYTHING before loading it onto the truck. There were only two guys that day and it felt like they took a break every 20 minutes. Blah, blah, blah, the stuff made it with only a few scratches.

Update #6- Mackenzie is very close to walking! She loves her toy from Matt Johnston & family that allows her to walk semi-independently. I'm not too wild about the song I hear 150 times a day, but what can you do?

As for our unexpected evening....

Last night I talked Nathan into going to one of the local parks. I had never been before and it turned out being a bust. I was bummed so he suggested going to get ice cream. We stumbled upon Historic Fredericksburg. It was adorable, the houses, the shops, the streets, everything made me smile. Don't you love finding places like that? We had some ice cream, walked around with Mackenzie and enjoyed our time together. It was great, just what we needed.

7 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

It is so good to hear an update!! I can't believe she is almost walking.... then you will really be running all over the pool for her. I remember when we first moved to fort wayne, the ladies my mom met at the pool... they became very good friends of hers. Maybe playdates with a mom who has a babe around mc's age. Your so down to earth, it wont be hard to find people to get to know.

I love finding new quaint places. Even if its just a place to go get an ice cream cone, but even better if there is a yummy restaurant, or cute boutique or bookstore.
I am glad you are getting settled in. If you ever want to chat during the day, my day is pretty flexible for me to gab for a bit!
Again, great to hear an update... i check like a million times a day,,, me and my exciting life ;)

miss ya. tell DH and MC hi!

Jacquelyn said...

I just looked at that historic neighborhood you went to... how cute!

Jillian said...

I just checked it out too, very cute! And I looked at how far you are from Richmond, VA, not far at all, I absolutely will get out there for work by the fall. Keep exploring, you will find a ton of cute neighborhoods like this, ice cream shops, boutiques, cafes, etc. and it will keep it all exciting for you and also make you feel at home. And you will make friends in no time, just be patient and remember that everyone else wants friends too! You are not the only crazy out there desparate to make new friends.

Melissa Jo said...

looks like a cool little town! and don't ya just love working with movers!? they are always quite interesting indeed!

RangersGirl said...

Gosh, the first picture looks a lot like the corner of King St. and Rt.1 in Alexandria.

Fredricksburg is beautiful. Its been a few years since I've been there.

Positive about going up and down all the stairs - - you'll be in great shape!

Glad your stuff made it without too much damage. The only time I've ever used movers - - I bought them pizza during the pack and the guys that unpacked me, I took them to dinner. They were plesantly surprised. But that was a tip some military co-workers gave me so the movers would be kinder to my stuff. It worked. No damage.

Look at the TBS web page, I think there is a spouse group. Maybe some other gals with babies that you could invite to the pool.

jenny said...

Kelly, that's hilarious about the stair thing! Hey you'll have a great ass from all of the walking up and down! I love finding small little places that. They're so cute and makes you feel comfortable. Can you please post more pictures? Especially of the little one nearly walking? Seeing them always makes me smile! I hope I get to meet her before shes all grown up!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are doing pretty good. The Historic area sounds great.

Yes, being an at home mom can really suck at times. Sigh. There are days when I think I will totally crack up. It is especially hard when you don't know anyone in your area. Get out there and make some friends as soon as you can!

Take your time with the work decision. You just got there. give yourself some time to breathe and soak it all in.
HUGS.